Definition of dead zone in English:
1A place or period in which nothing happens or in which no life exists.
- That excessive fishing and pollution have created giant dead zones in the ocean.
- The research also found that biodiversity loss is tightly linked to declining water quality, harmful algal blooms, ocean dead zones, fish kills, and coastal flooding.
- The increasing level of bioactive nitrogen is also being cited as a cause of dead zones in the ocean due to microbial overgrowth.
1.1An area of the ocean that is depleted of oxygen, frequently due to pollution.
- They knew the flooding would expand the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone.
- Even the oceans are polluted: 7,000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico are a dead zone.
- In the Gulf, a growing hypoxic - oxygen-starved - dead zone is killing shellfish.
2A place where it is not possible to receive a mobile-phone or radio signal.
- My whole house seems to have turned into a wireless dead zone!
- The system offers a nifty solution to dead zones in your house where your cell phone doesn't work.
- Heading off a dead zone, making a cell phone call during the inauguration could be a challenge.
Definition of dead zone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia