Definition of deadly nightshade in English:
A poisonous bushy Eurasian plant with drooping purple flowers and black cherrylike fruit. Also called belladonna.
- Atropa belladonna, family Solanaceae
- These so-called host plants include many broadleaf weeds and cover crops such as nettles, mallow, chicory, dandelion, thistles, bindweed, deadly nightshade, and many clovers.
- For example, the poisonous plant deadly nightshade, also known as Belladonna, causes a throbbing headache, high temperature and bright red face.
- Adding to its sinister image, the moth, which takes three to four weeks to develop from caterpillar to adult, feeds on plants including deadly nightshade which is in flower at the moment.
Definition of deadly nightshade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.