Definition of death sentence in English:
1 Law A sentence to be put to death for a capital crime.
- If there is no foreign DNA at the crime scene then the death sentence should immediately become a non-option.
- The new law now gives the sentencing judge the choice of imposing either a death sentence or a life sentence for the same crime.
- It is up to the panel of judges to decide whether they will impose the death sentence or a life sentence for me.
1.1A disastrous result or outcome: the market crash was a death sentence for many dot-coms
More example sentences
- Revealing a weak spot was a death sentence, and he had become the sentencer.
- For the chronically disabled Potter, life was a death sentence; but he would have the last word.
- His comments will serve as a death sentence to Americans in the region.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan