adjective (deathlier, deathliest)
- 1Resembling or suggestive of death: a deathly hush fell over the breakfast table [as submodifier]: she felt deathly coldMore example sentences
- The red eyes were bright and swollen from crying, and the white skin was deathly pale from the cold.
- A kind of deathly, phony calm descends at moments like that.
- Friday's encounters had been played out in front of banks of empty seats and a deathly hush.
- 1.1 • archaic • literary Of, relating to, or causing death: an eagle carrying a snake in its deathly graspMore example sentences
- She spun around and gave him a glare so deathly that he turned pale and blacked out.
- I was shattered to see how the disease had extended its deathly grip.
- True artistic integrity is stultified by the deathly embrace of marketing.