1Open to discussion or argument: it is debatable whether the country is coming out of recession
More example sentences
- In reading the commentary it seems that it could be debatable whether the levies issued during that period were legal.
- The spiritual argument against the death penalty is equally as debatable as the one for it.
- As such, Kant's argument here is a compelling and, obviously, debatable one.
- Example sentences
- ‘Well-endowed’ bookshops may debatably be, but they're no substitute for libraries which give free access to a wide range of books.
- Also to be discussed will be lifting the freeze on university tuition and nationalizing Quebec's water resources, debatably more important issues than teenage fashion.
- This passage is effective, if only because it employs a debatably relevant, historical analogy.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.