1Open to discussion or argument: it is debatable whether the country is coming out of recession
More example sentences
- In reading the commentary it seems that it could be debatable whether the levies issued during that period were legal.
- The spiritual argument against the death penalty is equally as debatable as the one for it.
- As such, Kant's argument here is a compelling and, obviously, debatable one.
- Example sentences
- ‘Well-endowed’ bookshops may debatably be, but they're no substitute for libraries which give free access to a wide range of books.
- Also to be discussed will be lifting the freeze on university tuition and nationalizing Quebec's water resources, debatably more important issues than teenage fashion.
- This passage is effective, if only because it employs a debatably relevant, historical analogy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.