- A debt that is not legally recoverable, especially one incurred in gambling.More example sentences
- He then turns to Bertram Wyatt-Brown's study of Southern Honor, which explains that in the antebellum South there were two kinds of debt, the business debt and the debt of honor.
- Traynor negotiated the deal whereby the £1.143 million debt was settled by a £750,00 payment, leaving £110,000 standing as the ‘debt of honour’ that was never repaid.
- Kerr involved his solicitors to try and extract his winnings from the bookmaker, even though gambling debts are not recoverable by legal means - since 1710 they have been classed as a debt of honour and cannot be taken before a court.
More definitions of debt of honorDefinition of debt of honor in:
- The British & World English dictionary