- A person making a first appearance in a career or in fashionable society.More example sentences
- York Wasps were forced to field no fewer than seven debutants against league leaders Leigh last night and paid the price with the biggest home defeat in their history.
- Jim Leishman's team may be European debutants, but they were also the third-best side in Scotland last season.
- The back three work as a single entity and if a debutant full-back has an experienced mate alongside him, that can only help him.
early 19th century: from French débutant 'leading off', from the verb débuter.
More definitions of debutantDefinition of debutant in:
- The British & World English dictionary