verb[with object] Metallurgy
Remove carbon from (iron or steel); decarbonize.
- His pressure tests burst the steel pipes in a week, revealing that the dense hydrogen had decarburized inner layers to a hard and brittle stuff.
- This long heat treatment increases cost, limits rate of production and decarburizes the surface layer.
- The degree to which a bar may be decarburized depends upon the chemical analysis of the steel.
- Example sentences
- The molybdenum steel is susceptible to decarburisation.
- Laser and electron beam techniques also have been used for hardening selected areas on the surface of pearlitic and ferritic malleable iron castings that are free from decarburization.
- To prevent scaling and surface decarburization during this stage of treatment, it is recommended that a nonoxidizing furnace temperature be maintained using a sealed furnace; a controlled atmosphere may be necessary.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of decarburize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.