Definition of decimalize in English:
Convert (a system of coinage or weights and measures) to a decimal system.
- These magazines listed the rank of games solely from subscriber feedback, where ratings were compiled within a ten point decimalized system.
- For example, Russia was the first country to decimalize its currency and the third country (after China and France under John Law) ‘to make sustained use of inconvertible paper money.’
- Secondly, in 1971 the whole coinage was decimalized in preparation for Britain's entry into the EEC.
- Example sentences
- They have been adept at adjusting to changes that had been widely expected to cut into their livelihood - ranging from the end to fixed commissions in 1975 to decimalization.
- As a country with some recent experience of currency change, the UK should remember the inflationary aspects of decimalisation in 1971.
- It is the UK's biggest consumer project since decimalisation.
Definition of decimalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan