- The play opens on the deck of a ship that is sailing from the north African city of Carthage to the Italian city of Naples.
- The launchers are installed at a fixed elevation on the upper deck behind the main mast.
- Adrianna was standing on the forecastle deck near the bowsprit of the ship, staring out at the crashing waves and crystal clear water.
- The concrete deck forms a platform from which the building rises.
- It even has its own viewing platform, up a spiral stair to the rooftop deck.
- Taipei 101 management will open an observation deck on the 89th floor of the building on Jan.19.
- The wooden deck attached to your house is NOT a good place to barbecue.
- In some areas a deck attached to a house will be taxed, but if it is separated by even an inch or two it will not.
- I work in a cozy tiny bright room in the garage and have a clear view of the back of the house to which a large deck is attached.
- On the first pitch, Wertz belted the ball into the far reaches of Briggs Stadium's right field upper deck to win the game.
- Already this season, he has established a SkyDome record with a 491-foot blast into the fifth deck.
- From the distant seats in the upper deck of Royals Stadium, Brett looked utterly confident.
- It was always going to be a difficult game to officiate given Tyrone's willingness to hit the deck but White punished petulance as well as could have been expected.
- All I see is the Marines just hit the deck and start shooting.
- As soon as he hit the deck, Kenny Logan grabbed the ball and raced through the middle to score under the posts.
- With intent, nearly 30 diverse local talents have transformed skateboard decks into art pieces.
- He has turned skateboard decks into an art form, appealing to art enthusiasts.
- He managed to get off the bus before me, as I had two bags, my guitar and my skateboard decks to carry.
- I've done very technically accomplished mixes on home hi-fi equipment - two hi-fi decks and a tape recorder.
- Sound and Video clips are played in from computer servers rather than Tape machines and record decks.
- After the recording is finished, the tape rewinds and the deck starts scanning for commercials.
- Trackstar The DJ was behind the decks.
- The bar and DJ decks are located along the back wall, allowing clubbers to enjoy the music and the picturesque views.
- "I am a legend," he shouted out to a packed dancefloor from the decks with his arms raised in the air.
- The virtual deck of cards is shuffled randomly, and the top cards off the deck are dealt.
- Intimate Poker is a deck of cards with a range of forfeits specified on each card.
- Feeling the clasp of a hand on his shoulder Ben turned and could not resist a smile as Jack took out his trademark deck of cards and shuffled it in mid air.
- When it's analysed, they'll find five or six half-chewed decks of heroin.
verb[with object] Back to top
- You got a hint that he was a Wolves supporter from the fact that he wore a golden shirt, his car was decked out in flags… and his hair was dyed gold.
- Their table is already decked out in the flags of several different countries.
- This weekend many pubs will be decked out in flags and banners and a growing number of councils are spending a small fortune on celebrations.
- I thought Kent had become timid after Kareem decked him with one punch during his rookie year.
- When Ford again tried to reach for Grace, she spun away from him, decking him with her elbow and then knocking his feet out from under him with a deft kick.
- She was breathing hard, and her fists were clenched as if she were ready to deck the first person that got in her way.
late Middle English: from Middle Dutch dec 'covering, roof, cloak', dekken 'to cover'. Originally denoting canvas used to make a covering (especially on a ship), the term came to mean the covering itself, later denoting a solid surface serving as roof and floor.
clear the decks
- see clear.
not playing with a full deck
- North American informal Mentally deficient.More example sentences
- ‘He was obviously not playing with a full deck,’ Sergeant Petcoff said.
- Vivaldo quickly deduces that Don Quijote is not playing with a full deck, but continues to converse and question him; curious as to the extent of his delusion.
- The innkeeper now knew, without a doubt, that his guest is not playing with a full deck and he decides to have some fun and play along.
- On or onto a ship’s main deck: she stood on deck for hoursMore example sentences
- On this occasion, people were sunbathing out on deck while the ship made its way between Ullapool and Stornoway.
- Bligh orders the ship's doctor, a dying man, to stand on deck despite his illness.
- My days were spent on deck, working the ship and my nights were spent in Garren's pleasant company.
- North American informal Ready for action or work.More example sentences
- I'm back on deck today and ready for return to German class tonight, though I haven't done much revision.
- And on deck in Salt Lake City is Kevin Peraino, correspondent covering the Smart story for ‘Newsweek’.
- I don't know how they organize who is on deck for media appearances, but they just have to be better prepared.…
- Baseball Next to hit in the batting order.More example sentences
- Walk rates indeed go down when an elite hitter is on deck - but so do batting and slugging averages.
- Mickey Rivers was on deck, and the Yanks leadoff hitter had been closely observing Dent the entire time.
- Rookie center fielder Fred Lynn was on deck and Fisk told him, ‘Freddie, I'm going to hit one off the wall and drive one in.’