Definition of declaration in English:
1A formal or explicit statement or announcement: they issued a declaration at the close of the talks declarations of love
More example sentences
- He issued new declarations of love and promised to tell Ms. Turner about their relationship.
- Marriage and civil union, of course, have an explicit declaration of commitment and interdependence that may be missing in a de facto relationship.
- He made the declarations while responding to reporters' questions on the bilateral debt forgiveness agreement during yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference at Whitehall.
1.1The formal announcement of the beginning of a state or condition: the declaration of war a declaration of independence
More example sentences
- Similarly, under a series of Supreme Court decisions, civilians cannot be court-martialed in the absence of a formal declaration of war.
- Border clashes began in 1928 and in 1932, despite mediation efforts, full-scale war erupted, although formal declarations of war were not made until 1933.
- Hitler's Polish campaign, and then the attack on the USSR, were launched without formal declarations of war.
1.2A listing of goods, property, income, etc., subject to duty or tax.
- Income and property declarations became compulsory for magistrates following the most recent amendments to the law on the judicial system in July 2003.
- Yesterday, he was charged with making a false declaration of income tax and false declaration of income received between 1995 and 1999.
- This is the month when the deadline expires for taxpayers to file their income declarations and to pay their tax with a five per cent discount.
1.3A written public announcement of intentions or of the terms of an agreement.
- Mozer said that even though the party leaders did not sign a declaration or an agreement, it was very important that they had discussed their positions and relations.
- The declaration is an agreement signed by many colleges to carry out initiatives designed to promote environmentalism.
- Thus, in 1933 Gadamer, along with other Marburg professors, signed a public declaration of allegiance to the National Socialist state.
1.4 Law A plaintiff’s statement of claims in proceedings.
- The plaintiff requests a declaration in her draft amended statement of claim.
- By cross-motion the plaintiff sought a declaration that the settlement and final release were void.
- Nevertheless, the plaintiffs sought a declaration that they were entitled to the benefit of that covenant and an order restraining the defendants from building in breach of it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.