- 1A formal or explicit statement or announcement: they issued a declaration at the close of the talks declarations of loveMore example sentences
- He issued new declarations of love and promised to tell Ms. Turner about their relationship.
- Marriage and civil union, of course, have an explicit declaration of commitment and interdependence that may be missing in a de facto relationship.
- He made the declarations while responding to reporters' questions on the bilateral debt forgiveness agreement during yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference at Whitehall.
- 1.1The formal announcement of the beginning of a state or condition: the declaration of war a declaration of independenceMore example sentences
- Similarly, under a series of Supreme Court decisions, civilians cannot be court-martialed in the absence of a formal declaration of war.
- Border clashes began in 1928 and in 1932, despite mediation efforts, full-scale war erupted, although formal declarations of war were not made until 1933.
- Hitler's Polish campaign, and then the attack on the USSR, were launched without formal declarations of war.
- 1.2A listing of goods, property, income, etc., subject to duty or tax.More example sentences
- Income and property declarations became compulsory for magistrates following the most recent amendments to the law on the judicial system in July 2003.
- Yesterday, he was charged with making a false declaration of income tax and false declaration of income received between 1995 and 1999.
- This is the month when the deadline expires for taxpayers to file their income declarations and to pay their tax with a five per cent discount.
- 1.3A written public announcement of intentions or of the terms of an agreement.More example sentences
- Mozer said that even though the party leaders did not sign a declaration or an agreement, it was very important that they had discussed their positions and relations.
- The declaration is an agreement signed by many colleges to carry out initiatives designed to promote environmentalism.
- Thus, in 1933 Gadamer, along with other Marburg professors, signed a public declaration of allegiance to the National Socialist state.
- 1.4 Law A plaintiff’s statement of claims in proceedings.More example sentences
- The plaintiff requests a declaration in her draft amended statement of claim.
- By cross-motion the plaintiff sought a declaration that the settlement and final release were void.
- Nevertheless, the plaintiffs sought a declaration that they were entitled to the benefit of that covenant and an order restraining the defendants from building in breach of it.
- 1.6The naming of trump in bridge, whist, or a similar card game.More example sentences
- He then discards any 3 cards, excluding 4 point cards (kings, or the 1,21, or 22 of trumps), those used in declarations, or trumps.
late Middle English: from Latin declaratio(n-), from declarare 'make quite clear' (see declare).