Definition of declassify in English:
verb (declassifies, declassifying, declassified)[with object]
Officially declare (information or documents) to be no longer secret: government documents were declassified
More example sentences
- The U.S. State Department has just declassified government documents from the mid 1960s.
- It could be a while before the government declassifies information about its ‘secret ‘underground bases there.
- The CIA refuses to declassify the documents involved.
- Example sentences
- But the breathtaking extent of his mendacity has only just become fully apparent, with the declassification of a secret State Department telegram.
- The order amends the previous administration's less restrictive order, which required automatic declassification of most government documents after twenty-five years.
- At the same time, the agency reported, the declassification of government records declined from 100 million pages in 2001 to just 28 million in 2004.
Definition of declassify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.