Definition of decoder in English:
1.1An electronic device for analyzing the information components of an audio or visual signal and feeding them to separate amplifier channels.
- Data being read from or written to the memory cells is via the sense amplifier latches, the decoders, and data amplifiers.
- The optical output can be used to connect to DVD decoders, amplifiers, or other devices.
- It adds an essential component: the decoder, which also serves as a preamplifier that can make audio adjustments and also select from among several sound sources.
1.2An electronic device that converts a coded signal into one that can be used by other equipment, especially a device to decode satellite television signals.
- ‘Major garrison locations receive the program, but one small unit with a satellite dish, decoder and a TV can get the signal as well,’ said Master Sgt.
- Main standby offenders in Irish homes are TVs, video recorders, DVDs, video games, satellite decoders, stereo systems, PCs and microwave ovens.
- This therefore means doing clever things with satellite decoders, in order to intercept the foreign transmissions.
Definition of decoder in:
- British & World English dictionary