(Of a country) withdraw from (a colony), leaving it independent: they must decolonize French Polynesia
More example sentences
- This fourth option involves nothing short of decolonizing the Nation of Anishinabe.
- British army personnel were prioritized, but when the number of military dead surpassed that of British losses in Cyprus, the IRA realized that Britain would or could not easily decolonize Ireland.
- We had a policy under which the nations of the so-called ‘developing world,’ today, would have been decolonized immediately at the end of the war, under U.S. power.
- Example sentences
- These weak states originally were European colonies that achieved sovereignty as a result of decolonization.
- These developments are I think to be understood in the context of the final phases of decolonisation and the Cold War.
- If British governments ever pursued a distinct policy of decolonization, it was in the Afro-Caribbean world between 1960 and roughly 1966.
Words that rhyme with decolonizerecolonize
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of decolonize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.