- 1An organism, especially a soil bacterium, fungus, or invertebrate, that decomposes organic material.More example sentences
- These organisms form the important class of decomposers within the food web, without which cellulose would continue to accumulate in the environment.
- Once an organism has died, be it plant or animal, the phosphorus is returned directly to the soil by the action of decomposers such as bacteria and fungi.
- Finally, decomposers are organisms such as bacteria and fungi that feed on the remains of dead plants and animals.
More definitions of decomposerDefinition of decomposer in:
- The British & World English dictionary