Definition of decompress in English:
1 [with object] Relieve of compressing forces, in particular.
- In the patient with a crush injury, IV fluids should be started even before the trapped limb is freed and decompressed, and certainly no later than six hours after decompression.
- These organs need to remain decompressed and drained to optimize early function.
- Fluid was found in the carpal tunnel when it was decompressed.
1.1Expand (compressed data) to its normal size so that it can be read and processed by a computer.
- Dozen of software programs, including tools built into recent versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system, can read and decompress any file bearing the. zip extension.
- Knowing how to compress and decompress an archived file is essential, especially in today's world of online computing.
- The process isn't necessarily symmetrical - it often takes longer to compress a digital music file than to decompress it for playback.
expand, restore, recover
1.2Subject (a diver) to decompression.
- But beware that being deeper may not decompress you adequately.
- The time wasted by compression and decompression, and the associated dangers, are thus minimized, since the diver may only have to be compressed and decompressed once during the spell at pressure.
- Then all four of the teams would decompress at approximately the same time.
2 [no object] North American informal Calm down and relax: Michael sits for a minute to decompress before walking home
More example sentences
- It allows soldiers to stay focused while fighting in a dangerous environment, and when they return to the FOB, they can relax and decompress after a day on the streets.
- ‘After sitting in an office for eight hours a day, working out was the perfect way to decompress and relax,’ she says.
- Relief washed over her, but she needed a couple minutes to decompress.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan