Definition of decreolize in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective decreolized)
Modify (a Creole language) toward the local standard language.
- Like the additional phonemes seen above, the forms in tend to occur only in an extremely decreolized variety of Kriol, as we shall see below.
- There is also clear evidence that Plantation Creole decreolized more slowly in the plantation areas, where groups of slaves lived largely autonomous lives.
- If truly complete decreolization in fact occurred, then mergers would have to be reversed, so that the decreolized dialect is just like the (never-merged) standard.
- Example sentences
- Creolization and decreolization can be coexistent, as they are for instance in Papua New Guinea.
- Repertoire extension adds another dimension to decreolization because it is more than simple replacement.
- Evolution implies a normal process, while what's happening here is a decreolization, a loss of the language, a transformation of the language as a result of the pressure of exterior forces.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan