Definition of decreolize in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective decreolized)
Modify (a Creole language) toward the local standard language.
- Like the additional phonemes seen above, the forms in tend to occur only in an extremely decreolized variety of Kriol, as we shall see below.
- There is also clear evidence that Plantation Creole decreolized more slowly in the plantation areas, where groups of slaves lived largely autonomous lives.
- If truly complete decreolization in fact occurred, then mergers would have to be reversed, so that the decreolized dialect is just like the (never-merged) standard.
- Example sentences
- Creolization and decreolization can be coexistent, as they are for instance in Papua New Guinea.
- Repertoire extension adds another dimension to decreolization because it is more than simple replacement.
- Evolution implies a normal process, while what's happening here is a decreolization, a loss of the language, a transformation of the language as a result of the pressure of exterior forces.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.