- The posture adopted by a person who is lying down: [as modifier]: lumbar puncture with the patient in the lateral decubitus positionMore example sentences
- The operation was performed with the patient under general anesthesia and in the lateral decubitus position with a thigh tourniquet.
- The patients were positioned in the lateral decubitus position, under general anesthesia.
- If the patient cannot sit up, order a left lateral decubitus.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin decumbere 'lie down', on the pattern of words such as accubitus 'reclining at table'.
More definitions of decubitusDefinition of decubitus in:
- The British & World English dictionary