Definition of deflocculate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
Break up the floccules (of a substance suspended in a liquid) into fine particles, producing a dispersion.
- Yeast strains grown to saturation in 10 ml liquid medium overnight and were deflocculated by two washes in sodium citrate.
- Under such conditions the stability of soil aggregates will decrease and clays will break down and deflocculate.
- The samples were rolled and then the total clay-rich sample was deflocculated and deslimed by continuous washing under gently running water.
- Example sentences
- Deflocculation may be acceptable during mixing, but strong deflocculation and over-deflocculation are not generally desirable in ceramic forming bodies.
- When using aqueous cleaning, several mechanisms such as dissolution, wetting, emulsification, deflocculation, saponification, and sequestration generally are employed.
- Proper deflocculation allows the use of less water to make the slip a liquid, this keeps the molds from getting too wet.
Definition of deflocculate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan