1Each of a number of independently variable factors affecting the range of states in which a system may exist, in particular.
- Since rigid vibration is assumed, only a single degree of freedom exists, and structural relations within the organ of Corti should remain static during motion.
- Figure 8 shows the mathematical model of the temporary barrier system with the kinematic degrees of freedom.
- The explanation of this feature is that the model has more parameters than the degree of freedom of the system.
1.1 Physics A direction in which independent motion can occur.
- Combintaroial rules give rise to quantum probabilities which describe an object with with discrete degrees of freedom which approximate direction in three dimensional space.
- Quantum wires have only 1 degree of freedom, and quantum dots have 0 degrees of freedom.
- Spatio-temporal chaotic phenomena, with additional degrees of freedom than other phenomena, change in both space and time.
1.2 Chemistry Each of a number of independent factors required to specify a system at equilibrium.
- This may be explained by an increasing degree of freedom of the side chains of the aromatic amino acids.
- This is very important for folding simulation because the degrees of freedom of a protein molecule are very large and there are many local minima in the folding path.
- For an intermolecular disulfide bond within a beta-structure, segmental flexibility is less important because of the higher degree of freedom of the system of two separate molecules.
1.3 Statistics The number of independent values or quantities that can be assigned to a statistical distribution.
- As a consequence, covariance matrices of the coordinate data are not of full rank, and the degrees of freedom for some statistical tests need to be adjusted.
- Even though in geometry 2 points define a line, empirical studies require at least 3 points to add an additional degree of freedom for statistical computations.
- The tabulated P value was calculated for every test statistic, using an F distribution with the appropriate degrees of freedom.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: de·gree of free·dom
Definition of degree of freedom in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.