1Reducing by gradual amounts.
- You repay the amount borrowed with a degressive repayment plan.
- If the barrel cannot be made very long, it is better to use a degressive propellant to achieve the maximum exit velocity in a limited distance.
- It must be degressive and be granted for no more than five years.
1.1(Of taxation) at successively lower rates on lower amounts.
- Recent flat tax proposals are more similar to a degressive flat tax than to a ‘true’ flat tax.
- But why not go a step further and improve incentives across the board by creating a degressive tax?
- A switch to a degressive system would be associated with a shift in tax burden from lower to upper and especially middle income families.
Late 19th century: from Latin degress- 'descended' (from the verb degredi, from de- 'down' + gradi 'walk') + -ive.
Words that rhyme with degressiveaggressive, compressive, concessive, depressive, digressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive, transgressive
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of degressive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.