Definition of degu in English:
A ratlike rodent with a long silky coat, found in southern South America.
- Genus Octodon, family Octodontidae: three species
- Now the eight chipmunks and the two degus - a South American long tailed rodent that looks like a gerbil but is as big as a guinea pig - are being cared for by the RSPCA.
- More recently they have featured in the paper appealing for homes for animals ranging from an iguana to 48 degus - small brown rodents that look like a cross between a rat and a gerbil.
- The animals are looked after by a network of volunteer fosterers across Swindon, and currently include rabbits, dogs, cats and degus a type of rat-like rodent.
mid 19th century: from American Spanish, from South American Indian deuñ.
Definition of degu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan