Definition of dehydrocholesterol in English:
A derivative of cholesterol present in the skin. It can be converted to cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) by the action of ultraviolet radiation.
- Chemical formula: C27H44O. The particular isomer involved in vitamin D3 formation is 7-dehydrocholesterol
- In the skin 7 - dehydrocholesterol is converted to cholecalciferol following UV irradiation.
- The most important source of vitamin D for all individuals is the sunlight-driven conversion in skin of 7 - dehydrocholesterol to cholecalciferol.
- Other types of UV dosimeters are based on the photodamage of DNA in spores, bacteria or bacteriophages or the conversion of 7 - dehydrocholesterol to previtamin D.
1930s: from dehydro- 'that has lost hydrogen' + cholesterol.
Definition of dehydrocholesterol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan