- A derivative of cholesterol present in the skin. It can be converted to cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) by the action of ultraviolet radiation.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C27H44O. The particular isomer involved in vitamin D3 formation is 7-dehydrocholesterol
- In the skin 7 - dehydrocholesterol is converted to cholecalciferol following UV irradiation.
- The most important source of vitamin D for all individuals is the sunlight-driven conversion in skin of 7 - dehydrocholesterol to cholecalciferol.
- Other types of UV dosimeters are based on the photodamage of DNA in spores, bacteria or bacteriophages or the conversion of 7 - dehydrocholesterol to previtamin D.
1930s: from dehydro- 'that has lost hydrogen' + cholesterol.
More definitions of dehydrocholesterolDefinition of dehydrocholesterol in:
- The British & World English dictionary