Definition of dehydrogenate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
Remove a hydrogen atom or atoms from (a compound).
- Alcohol dehydrogenase is an enzyme that takes a hydrogen atom from (dehydrogenates) an alcohol molecule.
- Addition of ethylene, through a Friedel-Crafts alkylation, to benzene affords ethylbenzene, which can be dehydrogenated to give styrene.
- Carbon dioxide is formed when formic acid is dehydrogenated.
- Example sentences
- A second dehydrogenation turns acetaldehyde into acetic acid, aka vinegar, which gets digested as usual.
- The entire process simulation - alcohol dehydrogenation, carbonyl polishing and distillation - was operated continuously for eight weeks.
- Industrially, they are mainly manufactured as the products of the dehydrogenation, or oxidation, of secondary alcohols.
Definition of dehydrogenate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia