verb[with object] Chemistry
- Remove a hydrogen atom or atoms from (a compound).More example sentences
- Alcohol dehydrogenase is an enzyme that takes a hydrogen atom from (dehydrogenates) an alcohol molecule.
- Addition of ethylene, through a Friedel-Crafts alkylation, to benzene affords ethylbenzene, which can be dehydrogenated to give styrene.
- Carbon dioxide is formed when formic acid is dehydrogenated.
- More example sentences
- A second dehydrogenation turns acetaldehyde into acetic acid, aka vinegar, which gets digested as usual.
- The entire process simulation - alcohol dehydrogenation, carbonyl polishing and distillation - was operated continuously for eight weeks.
- Industrially, they are mainly manufactured as the products of the dehydrogenation, or oxidation, of secondary alcohols.
More definitions of dehydrogenateDefinition of dehydrogenate in:
- The British & World English dictionary