Definition of deinotherium in English:
noun (plural deinotheria-THi(ə)rēə or deinotheriums)
An elephantlike fossil mammal found mainly in the Pliocene epoch, the lower jaw having tusks that curve downward and backward.
- Genus Deinotherium, suborder Deinotherioidea, order Proboscidea
- Imagine a landscape inhabited by several kinds of elephantoids, deinotheres, three species of rhino, two species of hippo, and two species of giraffe.
- These ancient species were lying side by side with more advanced forms called deinotheres and gomphotheres, which were not previously known to exist until 20 million years ago.
- By the Early Miocene, deinotheres had grown to the size of a small elephant, and had migrated to Eurasia.
Definition of deinotherium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan