- Action taken to gain time, especially a military engagement that delays the advance of an enemy.More example sentences
- His courageous delaying action enabled his comrades to reorganize and effect an orderly withdrawal.
- Just as in dispersed defense, delaying action can include a wide use of artificial obstacles of all types, ambush action, and blocking fire.
- The new 1945 plan called for delaying action along the border and withdrawal to prepared defensive lines and then to a stronghold area in southeastern Manchuria.
More definitions of delaying actionDefinition of delaying action in:
- The British & World English dictionary