1The study of statistics such as births, deaths, income, or the incidence of disease, which illustrate the changing structure of human populations.
- However, these data are not likely to represent a ‘false positive’ sweep pattern caused by demography or population structure.
- Currently, empirical studies of population demography are more frequently quantifying variances of parameters as well as mean values.
- In demography, the study of population patterns, there is a saying that ‘behind most news stories is a population story’.
1.1The composition of a particular human population: Europe’s demography is changing
More example sentences
- But no longer can a simple analysis be made of the state of race relations, as Britain's changed demography reflects new generations of multi-ethnic origins and heritage.
- The founders of India took upon themselves to impart wider representation of social demography.
- Do they know nothing of the political demography of their own country?
- Example sentences
- According to demographers, this generation of 70 million born between 1978 and 1994 could represent the greatest sociological force since the baby boomers.
- In order to replace their populations, societies need what demographers call a ‘total fertility rate’ (the average number of children born to each woman in her fertile years) of just over two.
- As Charles Murray noticed decades ago and demographers have known for some time, the structure of families has diverged drastically by social class.
Late 19th century: from Greek dēmos 'the people' + -graphy.
Words that rhyme with demographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, chirography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, discography, filmography, geography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, stenography, topography, typography
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of demography in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.