Definition of demythologize in English:
1Reinterpret (a subject or text) so that it is free of mythical or heroic elements: he undertakes to demythologize the man who has been for many the modern counterpart of St. Augustine
More example sentences
- ‘Stalin isn't subject to demythologizing, and this proves that he is alive,’ wrote Marina Koldovskaya in the liberal weekly magazine Novoye Vremya.
- Man would be free, he said, if we could demythologize religion.
- The ‘rape is violence’ feminists also sought to demythologise rape, to take away its special stigma.
1.1Reinterpret what are considered to be mythological elements of (the Bible).
- The other side of his theology is demythologizing.
- My way of demythologizing the case for public funding of stem-cell research will not, I fear, make much difference, even if plausible.
- In the first part of the book, Stahl attempts to demythologize technology by demonstrating its implicit religious character.
Definition of demythologize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan