Definition of denationalize in English:
1Transfer (a nationalized industry or institution) from public to private ownership.
- In parallel, state-owned industry was rapidly denationalized and an army of unemployed established.
- Its advocates have urged African countries to privatize and denationalize a wide swath of government services and industries traditionally run by the state.
- Only a third of the economy has been denationalised, which is not considered enough by a long chalk.
- Example sentences
- ‘What is important to me is for the privatization process and the transition from one administration to another to proceed smoothly, maintaining at the same time the high quality and speed of denationalization,’ he said.
- So intense has been the heat generated by the vested interests opposing the denationalization of these two institutions that the matter has still not been sorted out.
- One option was to make restructuring of the holding group part of the privatisation, which means that its denationalisation would be delayed.
Pronunciation: /ˌdēnaSH(ə)nələˈzāSHən/ /ˌdēnaSH(ə)nəˌlīˈzāSHən/ /dəˌnaSH(ə)nəˌlīˈzāSHən/ /dəˌnaSH(ə)nələˈzāSHən/noun
Early 19th century (sense 2): from French dénationaliser (a word of the French Revolution), from dé- (expressing reversal) + nationaliser 'nationalize'.
Definition of denationalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.