Definition of dendrochronology in English:
The science or technique of dating events, environmental change, and archaeological artifacts by using the characteristic patterns of annual growth rings in timber and tree trunks.
- At the tower's core is a massively strong timber frame, which dendrochronology has recently dated to between 1207 and 1216 with rebuilding using many of the old timbers in 1668-9.
- Radiocarbon suggested construction between AD 900-1020, and dendrochronology dates the felling of three trees to AD 1080-1120.
- If the Stafford mill proves to be medieval following dendrochronology dating, it will be the first medieval double mill found in Britain made of timber.
- Example sentences
- Few, however, have linked dendrochronological methods to the archaeological record to document native impacts on pre-European settlement vegetation.
- A 148-year dendrochronological sequence has been established from measuring tree rings, running from AD 425 to 573.
- Nonetheless, these stands and the dendrochronological record they represent should be identified and further studied so that the transitions from native American to Colonial European landscapes can be better understood.
- Example sentences
- By using tree rings to age all trees within a stand, dendrochronologists are able to identify periods of peak tree establishment and periods of limited or no establishment.
- Historically, dendrochronologists working in closed-canopy forests have focused on reconstructing disturbance regimes and stand dynamics, assuming the effects of climate were minimal in comparison to those of competition.
- Because trees put on different kinds of wood in early summer and in late summer, dendrochronologists can count annual rings to figure out how old a tree is.
Definition of dendrochronology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan