verb[with object] Medicine
- Remove or cut off the nerve supply from (an organ or other body part): (as adjective denervated) the denervated muscle fibersMore example sentences
- Surgical options in the treatment of sialorrhea include surgery on the salivary glands and ducts, and surgery to denervate the glands.
- Diagnosis of the condition can be difficult because transplant recipients have denervated hearts and rarely present with chest pain.
- Injury to the long thoracic nerve denervates the serratus anterior muscle and causes a winged scapula.
- More example sentences
- For cases where the etiology cannot be determined, ilio-inguinal nerve block or microsurgical denervation may relieve the pain.
- Electrophysiological examination showed evidence of chronic partial denervation and reinnervation only in the upper limb segments.
- Muscles biopsies also showed scattered atrophy consistent with the process of denervation.
More definitions of denervateDefinition of denervate in:
- The British & World English dictionary