Definition of deodar in English:
A tall, broadly conical cedar that is native to the Himalayas and has drooping branches and large barrel-shaped cones.
- Cedrus deodara, family Pinaceae
- We arrived in Ranikhet, located 1,830 m above sea level, encircled by tall pine trees and soaring deodars, commanding views of the Himalayas glistening white in the distance.
- Dense shrubbery can provide shelter, as can brush piles, thickets of rugosa roses, or tall evergreen trees such as coast live oak, deodar cedar, or redwood.
- The nursery offers other conifers, including Colorado blue spruce, deodar cedar, Douglas fir, and coast redwood.
Early 19th century: from Hindi deodār, from Sanskrit devadāru 'divine tree'.
Definition of deodar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.