Definition of deoxyribose in English:
A sugar derived from ribose by replacing a hydroxyl group with hydrogen.
- Chemical formula; C5H10O4. There are several isomers; the isomer 2-deoxyribose is a constituent of DNA
- Sugars are vital components of life, e.g. the 5-carbon sugars ribose and deoxyribose are part of the skeletons of our information storage molecules, RNA and DNA respectively.
- For example, ribose and deoxyribose are essential for the formation of the backbone of RNA and DNA.
- Another difference between DNA and RNA is that RNA contains ribose, rather than deoxyribose.
Definition of deoxyribose in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.