Definition of dependency in English:
noun (plural dependencies)
1A dependent or subordinate thing, especially a country or province controlled by another.
- At one time sovereign states could control foreign populated territory as colonial dependencies.
- The different circumstances and traditions of the various colonies and dependencies meant that they were developing at different paces and had little in common.
- Empires generally expect neighboring states and dependencies to accept their power and accommodate to it.
2Dependence: the country’s dependency on the oil industry
More example sentences
- The bubble could burst if the residents of the high-risk area are being kept in a system of dependency on the ruling party.
- Then there is the sinking stock market and the move from guaranteed retirement pay to dependency on the ups and downs of financial casinos.
- But does this dependency on the fans change the band/audience dynamic in an entirely positive way?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan