- 1Show or represent by a drawing, painting, or other art form.More example sentences
- The four-metre wide painting depicts a typical Lowry scene of Victorian life in a northern cotton town.
- The food is traditional hearty Saxon fair, and there are paintings on the wall depicting scenes from the play.
- All Arthur had was the rights to the novel and a portfolio of paintings depicting possible scenes.
- 1.1Portray in words; describe: youth is depicted as a time of vitality and good healthMore example sentences
- As in a disaster movie, the lives are depicted as parallel narratives, hinged on the impending disaster.
- Eltham is sometimes depicted as a deprived area with few recreation venues and nothing to offer children.
- Perhaps it is for this reason that hill running is sometimes depicted as an obscure offshoot of mainstream athletics.
- More example sentences
- Rather than a depicter of heritage, Gorky is considered one of the founders of ‘Abstract Surrealism,’ and was tagged by André Breton as one of the most important painters in American history.
- Tsai's preternatural simplicity wondrously collapses the spaces between viewer and viewed, depicter and depicted.
late Middle English: from Latin depict- 'portrayed', from the verb depingere, from de- 'completely' + pingere 'to paint'.