Definition of depolarize in English:
verb[with object] Physics
Reduce or remove the polarization of: the threshold necessary to depolarize the membrane
More example sentences
- Light passing through such a liquid crystal can be polarized and depolarized by changing the field and has led to the liquid crystal displays we see in watches, microwaves, and laptop computers today.
- The positive charge that they carry produces a further membrane depolarization, which activates additional sodium channels, so depolarizing the membrane even further.
- The ability of the plasma membrane to depolarize remains functional in the rho cells as evidenced by the release of insulin with the depolarizing agent KCl.
- Example sentences
- Whereas increasing temperature accelerated fluorescence depolarization, increasing solvent viscosity slowed the process down.
- As the channel opens upon a depolarization, the trapped ion can escape to the intracellular medium increasing the stability of the bound toxin.
- Polarization or depolarization of the membrane voltage opens the gate subunits and permits a flood of calcium ions through the cell membrane.
Definition of depolarize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan