Definition of deprave in English:
- The Legislature can hardly have contemplated that a book which tended to corrupt and deprave the average reader or majority of those likely to read it could be justified as being for the public good on any ground.
- By contaminating the political culture with persuasive but ruinous ideas, populism depraves all electorally-sensitive governments.
- He claimed that the book had depraved him, but it transpired that he had only read it because he had been asked to appear as a witness for the prosecution.
- Example sentences
- Permanently tormented by pain, the depravations of peasant life slowly take their toll on him, forcing his wife and daughter to play a more central role in caring for the family.
- Normally, high teenage pregnancy rates are associated with areas of depravation.
- They suspected before they began that sleep depravation, smoking, extra jobs and a social life all contributed to a lack of concentration.
The first recorded sense of deprave was ‘pervert the meaning or intention of something’; it comes from Latin depravare, from de- ‘down, thoroughly’ and pravus ‘crooked, perverse’.
Words that rhyme with depravebehave, brave, Cave, clave, concave, crave, Dave, engrave, enslave, fave, forgave, gave, grave, knave, lave, Maeve, misbehave, misgave, nave, outbrave, pave, rave, save, shave, shortwave, slave, stave, they've, waive, wave
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.