noun (plural derechos)US
- A line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds.More example sentences
- I would like to know what scientific writings about bow echoes and derechos have been published.
- When the bow echo bulge reaches 80-320 km wide, the derecho has been born.
- View a radar animation of the derecho as it passed through the area.
late 19th century: Spanish, literally 'straight'.
More definitions of derechoDefinition of derecho in:
- The British & World English dictionary