Definition of deride in English:
Express contempt for; ridicule: critics derided the proposals as clumsy attempts to find a solution
More example sentences
- So I didn't ridicule or deride contributions, and published most emails critical of me, my style, and my substance.
- It has been derided by some critics as straying too far from historical fact in order to show a well-polished fiction.
- Scotland's newest soap opera has had a shaky start, derided by the critics for its wooden scripts and dull characters.
mid 16th century: from Latin deridere 'scoff at'.
- Example sentences
- His nationalism was as expansive as his cosmopolitanism, and he railed in equal measure against the narrowness of native deriders of Scotland and the shallowness of Anglophobia.
- Why does the man of understanding not respond to the derider? Because the derider will turn his derision on him or continue the original derision against him.