- A condition of the skin in which it becomes red, swollen, and sore, sometimes with small blisters, resulting from direct irritation of the skin by an external agent or an allergic reaction to it. Compare with eczema.More example sentences
- Irritant contact dermatitis is a skin reaction caused by the direct effect of an irritant substance on the skin.
- Eczema, also known as dermatitis, describes skin conditions where there is irritation or inflammation of the skin.
- Allergic contact dermatitis improves with removal of the sensitizing agent.
late 19th century: from Greek derma, dermat- 'skin' + -itis.
More definitions of dermatitisDefinition of dermatitis in:
- The British & World English dictionary