- 1A spoken or written representation or account of a person, object, or event: people who had seen him were able to give a descriptionMore example sentences
- With five bedrooms, gymnasium and a Jacuzzi, it is certainly does not fit the description of the average croft.
- Thereafter the description of events is dependent upon her account only.
- Cassini wrote a detailed description of precisely how the longitude measurements were to be carried out.
- 1.1The action of giving a spoken or written representation or account: teaching by demonstration and descriptionMore example sentences
- Research into health inequality now aims to move away from description and towards explanation.
- Above all, the emphasis was placed firmly on explanation rather than description.
- She is a master of exposition and description, with a ready ear for a telling anecdote.
- 2A sort, kind, or class of people or things: ships of every descriptionMore example sentences
- Every available area is taken up by paintings of all descriptions and all styles.
- Yet there are parents who seek out professional tutors of all descriptions for children who are barely old enough to hold a book.
- The Web can help you walk, talk and make ponchos of all descriptions.
- To a great and astonishing extent: his face was swollen beyond descriptionMore example sentences
- It's a tragedy beyond description and I want the full country and the medical profession to realise just how dreadful this whole story is.
- And I'm certainly not worried about being in England - to be honest, I'm excited beyond description.
- ‘The thrill, the mad delirium of being free is beyond description,’ he writes.
- Be so unusual or remarkable as to be impossible to describe: the sheer scale of the Requiem defies descriptionMore example sentences
- The prospects sound fabulous but seem to defy description.
- The manner and magnitude of the attack defy description.
- The bishop's statement continued as follows: ‘The extent and scale of the horror defies description.’
answer (to, or fit) the description
- Have the qualities specified.More example sentences
- Creeping phlox answers the description, and the pink candy striped variety will blend well with the pink tones of most Helleborus orientalis.
- In fact, Marcus is the only forward who answers the description and he won't have quite the same energy he brings off the bench.
- Well, accept that as a basis that these people have offended on a number of occasions, over a long period, and one or more of their offences answers the description in section 203 of the Act.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin descriptio(n-), from describere 'write down'.