Definition of desiderative in English:
1(In Latin and other inflected languages) denoting a verb formed from another and expressing a desire to do the act denoted by the root verb (such as Latin esurire ‘want to eat,’ from edere ‘eat’).
- An interrogative use of shall with the first person subject forms what we might call desiderative.
- Furthermore, I claim that even the advanced learners sometimes misuse the desiderative expressions when they forget to control their speech.
- This traditional interpretation had to be systematically verified for two reasons: the first was to explain the specificity of the category desiderative inside the complex verbal system of Vedic, and the second was the need to elucidate its historical links, currently claimed by most Indo-Europeanists, with other formally similar categories like the future in Old Greek and Celtic.
1.1Having, expressing, or relating to desire.
- In themselves, attention, interest, vivid presence to consciousness and the like would seem to be features of our emotional and desiderative biographies.
- Since each such change seems rationally required, the new desiderative profile will seem not just different from the old, but better; more rational.
- But many of the same issues arise for desiderative conceptions of the good as well, and it will be useful to discuss these at points.
nounGrammar Back to top
A desiderative verb.
- And the data also shows that the learner misunderstands how to make the Japanese desideratives polite.
- Like causatives and desideratives, denominatives follow the inflection of thematic verbs of the Present System.
- One set of constructions-motion auxiliaries, desideratives, and reflexive causatives-involve linking to the internal a-subject.
Definition of desiderative in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan