Definition of desktop in English:
1The working surface of a desk.
- The height was good being only 11 mm from the desktop to the surface which would keep wrist strain at a minimum.
- It does however have an issue that the desktop and laminated mouse surfaces don't have and that is added noise.
- In comparison I've used a cheap laminated mat and the desktop surface itself.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting a piece of equipment such as a computer that is suitable for use at an ordinary desk: a desktop machine
1.2A desktop computer.
- That's why I think all desktop antivirus apps should now include some type of firewall.
- Any authenticated server, desktop or laptop can now use storage resources.
- Not much separates the workstation I use for photo editing from a good Linux desktop.
1.3The working area of a computer screen regarded as a representation of a notional desktop and containing icons representing items such as files and a wastebasket.
- The fix requires customers to download an executable file to the desktop, and then reboot the PC.
- Frequently users place icons on the desktop to quickly access some application, files or folders they regularly use.
- She had put all her files and icons on her desktop.
Words that rhyme with desktopflat-top • hardtop • palmtop
Definition of desktop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.