A structure by which two adjacent cells are attached, formed from protein plaques in the cell membranes linked by filaments.
- Specialized structures were present, including microvilli of varying length, desmosomes, and cell membrane interdigitations.
- Hence the plug is a specialized cytoplasmic structure, unlike desmosomes, gap junctions, or septate junctions, which are formed from membrane appositions.
- The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.
- Example sentences
- Ultrastructural examination of the paraffin-embedded tissue demonstrated long and thin interdigitating cytoplasmic processes and desmosomal cell junctions between adjacent cell processes.
- Focal neuroendocrine membrane-bound dense-core granules surrounded by a slender halo and desmosomal intercellular junctions were demonstrated.
- They connect with the developing keratinocytes through intercellular connections, or desmosomal junctions.
1930s: from Greek desmos 'bond, chain' + -some3.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of desmosome in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.