Definition of desmosome in English:
A structure by which two adjacent cells are attached, formed from protein plaques in the cell membranes linked by filaments.
- Specialized structures were present, including microvilli of varying length, desmosomes, and cell membrane interdigitations.
- Hence the plug is a specialized cytoplasmic structure, unlike desmosomes, gap junctions, or septate junctions, which are formed from membrane appositions.
- The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.
- Example sentences
- Ultrastructural examination of the paraffin-embedded tissue demonstrated long and thin interdigitating cytoplasmic processes and desmosomal cell junctions between adjacent cell processes.
- Focal neuroendocrine membrane-bound dense-core granules surrounded by a slender halo and desmosomal intercellular junctions were demonstrated.
- They connect with the developing keratinocytes through intercellular connections, or desmosomal junctions.
Definition of desmosome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan