Definition of detainer in English:
1 Law The action of detaining or withholding property.
- The creditor later secured a judgment against the bankrupt for the unlawful detainer of the property so purchased.
- His company checks for past rental or mortgage nonpayment, unlawful detainers, delinquent consumer debt, and income sources.
- Actual breaches of the peace include riotous and unlawful assemblies, riots, affrays, forcible entry and detainer, etc.
1.1The detention of a person in custody.
- First D must maliciously wound or cause grievous bodily harm and, secondly, he must do so with an ulterior intent either to cause grievous bodily harm or to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer of any person.
- But there is an alternative fault element: ‘with intent to prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer of any person’.
- Section 18 requires an intention to do grievous bodily harm or an intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer or any person.
1.2An order authorizing the continued detention of a person in custody.
- Thus, subjects not released to supervision and subjects with a detainer were not included in our analyses.
- The return to a writ of habeas corpus ad subjiciendum must be indorsed on or annexed to the writ and must state all the causes of the detainer of the person.
2chiefly Law A person who detains someone or something.
- The detainee and the detainer, they cannot deny their common past which they spent in the same boat.
- To engage any detainer in such useless, if not dangerous, dialogue only enables a captor to spend more time with the detainee.
Words that rhyme with detainerabstainer, arcana, campaigner, Cana, caner, cantilena, complainer, container, drainer, entertainer, explainer, Gaenor, gainer, Gaynor, grainer, Jena, Lena, maintainer, Marlene, N'Djamena, obtainer, ordainer, planar, planer, profaner, Rayner, retainer, scena, seiner, Sinn Feiner, strainer, sustainer, trainer, uniplanar
Definition of detainer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan