The doctrine that all events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes external to the will. Some philosophers have taken determinism to imply that individual human beings have no free will and cannot be held morally responsible for their actions.
- Such a view reconciles free will not with determinism but with the highly plausible thesis of universal event causation.
- Compatibilist philosophies seek to reconcile free will and determinism in a modern time.
- So, would you like to go again on your attempt to explain why you think I was wrong to call you on this, or do you want to talk about free will and determinism?
- noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- In speaking of Hume as a determinist, we must, however, bear in mind that this does not in his case carry any pledge of allegiance to a reign of necessity in nature.
- What Epicurus said is that a determinist cannot criticize the doctrine of Free Will because he admits his own criticism is itself determined.
- Other incompatibilists, hard determinists, have a less optimistic view, holding that determinism is true and that no persons have free will.
Definition of determinism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.