- Deserving intense dislike: I found the film’s violence detestableMore example sentences
- I felt I was a detestable person and I hated myself and had all the feelings of failure.
- Allen's characters, both the admirable ones and the detestable ones, are intensely alive, and we know this by their distinctive voices.
- The most vulnerable members of our society fall victim to the repulsive and detestable warlords and gang masters who conceal their depraved activity behind closed doors.
- More example sentences
- ‘We shouldn't have come this far,’ he said quietly, some irrepressible and detestably responsible instinct rising up and taking him by surprise.
- The woman was detestably sensible, opinionated, and outspoken and her son trusted her reasoning above all things, except, perhaps his own.
- The thing is, is not cowardly, but profoundly and detestably wicked.
late Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin detestabilis, from the verb detestari (see detest).