- Our real task is to maintain this position of disparity without detriment to our national security.
- This must represent the child's presumed will and may be revoked at any time without detriment to the child.
- The one person is there in whom God and man are one, without detriment to one or the other.
- Studies - from the American Medical Journal to the University of New South Wales - have told us that there are significant physical health detriments to the individual from prolonged use of marijuana.
- But these are the detriments of attracting foreign investment.
- Nostalgia for a bygone era is understandable, especially if the benefits of subsequent positive changes are overlooked and any new detriments emphasised.
Late Middle English in the sense 'loss sustained by damage': from Old French, from Latin detrimentum, from detri-, stem of deterere 'wear away'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.