An animal that feeds on dead organic material, especially plant detritus.
More example sentences
- The members of Echinoidea are suspension feeders, herbivores, detritivores, and predators.
- These earliest insect species were probably detritivores, scavenging for organic matter in the thin soils of the time, although some species may have been herbivores feeding on live plants.
- Some graze, some browse, some feed on plankton, some are scavengers or detritivores, some are active carnivores.
- More example sentences
- While most species of Daphnia, including D. pulex, are herbivorous or detritivorous (feeding on phytoplankton), a few are carnivorous and prey on other water fleas.
- They included both carnivorous and detritivorous types.
- However, even if the glossopterids did not possess toxic secondary metabolites that discouraged detritivores, their dominance still may have played a role in the abundance of detritivorous oribatid mites.
Definition of detritivore in:
- The British & World English dictionary