1.1 (devi) Indian (In general use) a goddess.
- The gurudwaras, or Sikh temples, have always been decorated with pictures of Hindu devas and devis.
- The essence of a woman in all its intensity, variety and even banality is sought to be captured through the portrayal of devis and yoginis in the 70-odd paintings.
- It resembled a cave and there was a six-foot idol of Lord Ganesh with nine devis.
1.2Indian Used after the first name of a Hindu woman as a form of respect: Deval Devi
More example sentences
- Renu Devi has been his life-partner of 54 years.
- Ragini Devi, in the attempt to make what she had learned in India communicate to the western audience at home, even set Bharatanatyam movements to western music.
- Ragini Devi, an American woman from Minneapolis, was convinced she had been a Hindu in a previous life and was reincarnated to devote her life to Indian dance.
Words that rhyme with Devicavy, Davy, gravy, navy, slavey, venae cavae, wavy
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Devi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.